The State government in India issues the Ration card which is an authorized document to every household that is entitled to buying subsidized food grain from the PDS System- Public Distribution System under the National Food Security Act. It also serves as a common way of identification for several Indians.
Linking of Aadhaar with Ration Card enables you to avail subsidized LPG that the government offers. Since ration cards have been one of the oldest proof of residence in the country, it is important to link them with Aadhaar so that the benefits received by the holder can be streamlined and the cases of fraud can be prevented.
How to Link an Aadhaar Card with Ration Card Offline?
Your ration card can be linked with Aadhaar by visiting the nearest PDS shop or ration shop. Ration Card Aadhaar Link will help you in various ways such as ration card search with Aadhaar Card will be easier, you will be able to check ration card status with Aadhaar Card Number, etc.
Follow the steps given below to link Aadhaar and Ration Card offline –
Step 1: Visit the nearest PDS centre or Ration Shop
Step 2: Carry photocopies of your Ration Card along with the copies of Aadhaar Card of all your family members. Also, carry a passport size photograph of the head of the family.
Step 3: In case your bank account is not linked with Aadhaar, you should also submit a copy of your bank passbook
Step 4: Submit all these documents at the PDS shop along with a copy of your Aadhaar
Step 5: The representative available at the Ration shop might ask you for fingerprint authentication for first-time Aadhaar authentication.
Once the documents are submitted, an SMS notification will be sent to your registered mobile number. You will receive another SMS notification when the two documents are successfully linked.
How to Link an Aadhaar Card with a Ration Card Online?
Many states provide an option to link Aadhaar Card with Ration Card online and the steps are as follows:
Step 1: Visit the official website of your state’s PDS portal
Step 2: Enter your Ration Card number
Step 3: Enter your Aadhaar number
Step 4: Enter your registered mobile number
Step 5: Click on continue/submit button to proceed further
Step 6: An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number
Step 7: Enter the OTP received to submit your request for ration card Aadhaar link
Note: As of now, there is no official portal for ration card Aadhaar link due to which every state has its own portal for ration card.
About Ration Card
Ration Card is an important official document that entitles its user to avail food grains and fuel offered by the government at subsidized rate. The card was launched about five decades ago and it has still not lost its prominence in India. Apart from offering necessary food grains at lower rates, it allows the poor to have a proof of identity in the country and establish a connection to the government database. It is of three types- Antyodaya, BPL (Below Poverty Line) and APL (Above Poverty Line). Eligibility depends on the economic status of the family.
Documents Required for Linking Aadhaar Card With Ration Card
Given below is the list of documents needed for Ration Card Aadhaar Link:
- Photocopy of your Ration Card along with an original card for on-site verification
- Copies of Aadhaar of all family members
- Photocopy of Aadhaar of the head of the family
- Passport size photograph of the head of the family
- Copy of bank passbook in the case bank account is not linked with Aadhaar
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar Card With Ration Card
Following are the benefits of Ration Card Aadhaar Link:
- It will reduce the number of fake Ration Cardholders who are enjoying subsidies which are otherwise meant for the below poverty line (BPL) families
- Once Aadhaar is linked with a Ration Card, families will not be able to possess more than one ration card on the basis of fake details
- Fraudulent activities can be prevented after Aadhaar is linked with a Ration Card
- The biometric enabled distribution system would help PDS shops identify the genuine beneficiaries and streamline the benefits accordingly
- Diversion and leakage of PDS ration can also be controlled
- Aadhaar creates an audit trail in the Public Distribution System, thus identifying and eliminating corrupt middlemen and adding efficiency in the framework